BackBox Installation on Virtualbox Step By Step
BackBox is not just an OS, but also known to be a great tool for penetration testers. It is fully Ubuntu based but has a greater interface and has more number of tools. As BackBox is a Linux distribution , which is specially based on pen-testing and Security Assessment. To know more about this Open Source Linux Distro you can visit the BackBox official site from here.
In this post, I will teach you how to install BackBox Linux and how to do its basic Config (on next post). There are 2 ways to install an OS. One is by installing as your main OS, and another method is by installing it on a Virtual Machine. I will recommend to you to use Virtual Machine as there are low chances of any risk with your hardware, as well as with your software. As BackBox is mainly for Penetration Testing, I would recommend you to use it on a Virtual machine, unless you have a mid-high end PC (with At least 4 GB RAM and a Quad Core CPU is Minimum requirement according to me). If you don’t have a mid-high end PC, then you may go for installing directly on hardware.
In this section, I will show how to install Backbox on VM(Virtual Machine). So to go ahead following the steps below:
- First, you need to download the BackBox ISO file. You can download the latest version directly from https://backbox.org/download. If you are using a 32-bit machine, then download the BackBox Linux 4.6 – i386 .Or else download the BackBox Linux 4.6 – amd64.
(Note: In this post I will be using the 64-bit version.But don’t worry as the process of installation is same for both)
- For running Virtual Machine, I will be using Virtualbox which is a great free tool.But you can also use VM-Ware or Hyper VM(in Windows 10 only). The process will almost same for all programs, but if you find any huge difference, then you can comment below so that we can send you the suitable tutorial and don’t worry we will be quick in our work.
- You can download Virtualbox from here. For VMware visit here.
You don’t need to download Hyper VM in windows 10 ,as it comes inbuilt with windows 10. And for Installing it, I am pretty sure that you can do that yourself. So follow the steps below after you have installed and configured your Virtualbox. Read the Virtualbox Documentation for more help.
- Now to add new Virtual machine (your black-box) on virtual Machine click on “new”.And type the VM name you want to use. Then click on “next”.
- Now choose the amount of RAM you want to use in your VM and click “next”. Never choose more than half RAM you have. For BackBox 2GB will be enough.
- Now in the hard disk section, check on “Create a virtual hard disk now”. (Note: If you have never used any virtual machine section, check then strictly follow me for now. Later you will get to know the function of each option).
In the next window check on “VDI”. Then on next check on “Dynamically Allocated”, which will increase your VM hard disk accordingly, when it the storage will get full.
- Next in the File Location and Size section, choose the size of your VDI (You Virtual Hard disk). 10GB is enough here. After that click “create”.Now you have successfully added BackBox VM to Virtual Machine. But before running you need to do some settings. So click on settings and follow the screenshots below >
Do exactly the same settings as in Screenshots and in Storage section, locate your Downloaded ISO file in “Optical drive”.
In “Network” section:
Settings are done.Now click “ok”.
- Now the VM is ready to start. So select your VM on Virtualbox menu, and click on “Start”. Then your Backbox Live will start. You can test Backbox on the live mode too. But you need to install it to get all its features. So, click on “Install BackBox Linux” in the Desktop menu to start the installer.
Here you should select the place where you live.
After completing those steps installation will start. At this moment, you should be patient as it will take time depending on your hardware and internet speed.
- After the setup has finished, it will prompt a window, where you have to choose “Restart now”. After restart, you will have to enter the password and login.
- Congrats!! You have successfully installed BackBox VM.
(Note:As you can see that you are not able to navigate properly in the machine and screen size is too small, so there you need to install the Virtualbox guest addition, which installs necessary tools and driver in a OS to make run properly on Virtualbox.)
To learn how to install Virtualbox guest addition on the system please follow the next post here-VIRTUALBOX GUEST ADDITIONS INSTALLATION ON WINDOWS AND LINUX .