How to create a simple objects in blender
We’ll take the example of a street light for our purpose. A street light model is useful in lots of cases. Whether it is for a game or any illustration or something else, you can use it for your purposes. If you want you can also change it or create it in your own way. The goal of this tutorial is to get you to create things using the blender.
- Starting knowledge of Blender
- An idea of your model
- You will first need to start blender in your system.
- Just click anywhere in the blender to close the splash screen. And then by default, you will see a cube, a camera, and a light. As we are not going to use the cube to model the street light, we can drop it and get a blank space without any mesh.
- Well, now just make sure that your 3D cursor is in the center of the space. To do that just press “Shift + C” to place the cursor at the center. So, why do we want the cursor at the center? Because we want our street light at the center, otherwise things can go weird while exporting the model to other programs.
- To make a street light we will start with a cylindrical mesh. There are multiple ways you can create a mesh. The easiest one is to use the shortcut. So, just press “Shift + A” and select Mesh > Cylinder. The mesh will always be w. So, I hope you got to know about a little use of a 3D cursor.
- Now, I will like to change the cylinder for my purpose by changing the depth, radius, and number of vertices. You can see those options in tools menu right after creating the cylinder. And remember blender measuring system by default is similar to the metric system.
As I have set the depth, which is the height as 8 and the center of the cylinder is the center of space, I need to re-position the lower to reach half of the units up in the z-axis.
- Now, we will need to add a base to the pole. So, now move to edit mode by just pressing the Tab key. As we are in the edit mode, now we can change the pole to make a street light. First, select the face select mode and select the bottom face of the cylinder which will extend a base.
- Now, we will extrude another face from that selected face. To do that, press “E” and then just press Right-Click”, so, that the face gets settled at the default location. Now, press “S” to scale the face and then press “Shift + Z” to not scale it on the Z axis, but on all other axes. And make a suitable base.
- Select all the edges of the base of the cylinder and lift it up a little on the z-axis.
- Now, let’s move to head of the street light. Select the upper face this time and extrude a face too. This time, do not press Right-click but place it according to your choice as is the neck of the street light. And remember to only place it in Z and Y-axis. And then press “R” and then “X” to rotate in X-axis like in the screenshot below.
- Extrude another face from the face to make the bulb case thing. Adjust it like in the screenshot below.And don’t forget to rotate and scale it to give it a proper shape.
- Now select the last showed in above screenshot and delete the face only. To do that, simply press “X” and select “Face Only”.
- Select all the edges related to that face by going to edge select mode.
- Extrude from those edges by pressing “E” and press the right mouse button to place the extruded edge at a default location. Now, as all the extruded selected edges, we can scale down them on “X” and “Y” axis.
- We will extrude those edges and pull them up in Z-axis a bit.
- So, you can say that the lamp model is ready. If you want to render lights in blender itself, then you can place the light inside the lamp and render it too.
Hope this article has helped you to get started with Blender. There are good things ahead. All depends on how far you want to go.